Wednesday, August 10, 2011

IMPACT


I can’t say that many things have what could be called “impact” on my life if they are not reality based. The birth of my children, my time fighting in Iraq and other significant milestones in my life has impact. Films? Well I guess they can have some impact, I just can’t say I’ll change my life view of things because of a story told on a screen. That being said, films are fun! It’s a combination of entertainment, escape, fantasy, horror, fiction or non-fiction all in a neat little 2-hour ball.

This past semester in Art 115 we had a list of feature films we were to view, and I’m supposed to tell you which three had the most impact on me and why. Okay, fair enough.

Pan’s Labyrinth is amongst the films we were viewed, and one of the favorites in my view. I didn’t even mind the subtitles, which under routine circumstances I do not enjoy.  I enjoyed getting caught up in the story, cheering for the heroine, feeling anger at the different antagonists, happiness at their defeat and finally elation for our protagonist finally reaching her home. It was just a nice story, which made ot very enjoyable viewing for a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Another pick was Mystery Train. Simply put, I enjoy the disjointed story that all converged around a central place, a flea-bag motel in downtown Memphis, and a central incident-a single gunshot. Watching the lives of the various characters interact and become entwined at different points keeps the viewer both interested and curious.

Lastly, of the required viewing I must choose Martin Scorsese’s Raging Bull. Shot in stark black and white with a powerful storyline this movie is considered a classic. I was particularly amazed at the films look at domestic violence as if it was just another accepted fact of life, which in that time I would have to agree it probably was.  Watching the lead character, Jake LaMotta, age, change and grow through life was fascinating.



Some films not on the list that I would recommend anyone interested in films see are: 1941 (Steven Spielberg, 1979) Bringing out the Dead (Martin Scorsese, 1999) and The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2008)

My recommendation of 1941as a film everyone should see comes from my affinity for the style of filmmaking. This whirlwind comedy about the panic that ensued in Los Angeles immediately following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor culminates in the “Zoot Suit” riot. What I find most fascinating is the way the special effects were accomplished. Spielberg chose to use meticulous scale models to showcase the destruction of Hollywood Blvd. This detailed use of models instead of computerized special effects shows a love of the craft not exhibited by filmmakers today.



My second choice of films that everyone interested in film should see is Martin Scorsese’s “Bringing out the Dead”, a story of a New York paramedic haunted by the ghosts of patients he has not been able to save. The gritty realism of a paramedic in New York who is worn down by continually having to witness the worst of humanity is done in both a serious and funny matter through the exploits of the ensemble cast.

Lastly, I would recommend “The Hurt Locker” by Kathryn Bigelow. This 2008 story of a bomb tech in Iraq is a must see for anyone interested in knowing what life in Iraq is truly about. The one thing I would call inaccurate is the main characters portrayal as a renegade. In fact, no person of that type would be permitted to work in the explosive ordinance field. The personality that thrives in military EOD is highly disciplined, unlike the character portrayed. All the other points shown are highly accurate and I give this one a strong recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment